A skin tag is usually a smallish soft piece of skin that develops on the eyelids, face, armpits, upper chest, or genital areas. Very often, they will only be of a similar size to a small grain of rice, although there have been reports that individuals have had them the size of grapes.
Keep reading to figure out why they appear and how to get rid of genital skin tags at home.
Thankfully, irrespective of size, skin tags, and more specifically, genital skin tags, are nearly always benign and poses no risk to a person’s health or well-being.
Skin tags are prevalent, with over 3 out of 5 people going on to develop them. Ordinarily, it is thought that skin tags normally grow when a person reaches their midlife stage; however, in rare cases, they have known to develop in very young children, sometimes even in babies.
Check out this one: 10 Foods That Will Help Sleep Deprivation
Why Do Genital Skin Tags Appear?
When it comes to genital skin tags / vaginal skin tags, scientists will freely admit that they don’t know all of the answers; however, there are many theories as to why they might appear in this particular region, some of which include:
- Tight-fitting underwear: Very often, this can be one of the reasons to why a skin tag will appear; the friction that is caused by the underwear can lead to the onset of this skin complaint.
- Friction from sexual intercourse: The mechanical movement of both parties during lovemaking can have a bearing on the development of skin tags in this particular region.
- Poor diet: As with other forms of skin tags, it is not uncommon to see a link between an individual’s eating habits and the volume of skin tags. Very often, sugar is seen to be a significant factor in the development of skin tags and consuming too much in the way of fried or greasy food.
You might want to read this: What makes dark chocolate healthy?
What About the Dangers?
An individual with genital skin tags should not worry unnecessarily as there are no health risks attached to skin tags; even those that can grow in the genital areas are not thought to be dangerous to an individual’s health.
However, it is essential to ensure that you have diagnosed them correctly; many people mistook them for genital warts, which pose some very serious and real health concerns.
One thing that might stop a person from visiting their health care professional is that they feel embarrassed about discussing these skin growths. The important thing is to be 100 percent confident that they are exactly what you think they are; this way, the correct treatment method can be undertaken with reduced health risks all around.
A Few Methods On How To Get Rid Of Genital Skin Tags
Again this can be a problematic area, with many people seeking to avoid consultation with their health care provider on the grounds of embarrassment.
As a result, many individuals will opt for some of the natural formulas or remedies that are available; these include:
- Vitamin E oil: The healing properties of this oil can prove very effective in this area.
- Topical treatments: Often, these can be purchased over the counter, without the need for a prescription.
- Application of various juices from fruits and vegetables: Depending on the location of the skin tag, it might be possible to apply some juice from onions or apples to the offending area. Sometimes in the case of vaginal skin tags, this might not be possible.
If an individual does feel brave enough to discuss their issue with their health care provider, then there are a great many options that become available; some treatments that are discussed might well be:
- Cutting or snipping: The doctor will take care to cut away the skin tag; usually, this procedure will involve the use of a local anesthetic to alleviate any discomfort. Afterward, the wound is cleaned with an antibacterial wash.
- Freezing: The correct term for this procedure is cryotherapy; put simply, the area is frozen and generally with liquid nitrogen, and the skin tag itself dies and falls off. Depending on the exact location will determine if this particular method is offered.
- Cutting the circulation: This treatment method is much more suited to males; it involves tying dental floss or equivalent very tightly around the skin tag. As a result, the blood circulation is cut off, and the skin tag will generally die in around a week.
- Find more natural skin tag removal methods by visiting the link.
It should be noted that because the skin tags pose no risk to health, usually, a medical insurance policy will not cover their removal. This can make the treatments carried out by a health care professional an expensive option.