Does Pine Sol Kill Mold And Mildew? The Answer Will Surprise You!

You are currently viewing Does Pine Sol Kill Mold And Mildew? The Answer Will Surprise You!

Since its introduction to the market, Pine-Sol has been a go-to for deodorizing and disinfecting. Pine-Sol is a multi-purpose cleaner that may be used to clean walls, wipe down countertops, and mop. It may be used to disinfect surfaces, particularly when sprayed on a countertop or an appliance. But does Pine Sol kill mold and mildew effectively?

The solution kills nearly 99.9% of germs while still being safe to use on stainless steel. Another option is to spray Pine-Sol on carpet or furniture to deter cats; however, you should test a small area beforehand to ensure it won’t stain.

When cleaning with Pine-Sol, you may make a mistake like with any other cleaner. While it may be used on various surfaces, there are a few that you should avoid. Pine-Sol is also dangerous for some types of flooring since it has the potential to scratch the finish. Here are some things to avoid while cleaning with Pine-Sol, so you don’t end up with more mess than order.

You might want to read this: 7 Health Benefits of Moringa Tea You Never Imagined

Cleaning with Pine-Sol and bleach

Cleaning with Pine-Sol and bleach

When you mix Pine-Sol with bleach, you’re putting yourself in a potentially dangerous scenario. This is one chemical set you don’t want to mess with, according to HomeSteady. One of the ingredients in Pine-Sol is ethoxylated alcohol, which creates chlorine gas when combined with bleach.

If you’re unfortunate enough to be exposed to these gases, you may get ocular problems, including inflammation. You may also begin to vomit. If you’re exposed to the gas for a lengthy amount of time, your breathing becomes difficult and uncomfortable, and these symptoms.

This condition can cause problems even in well-ventilated areas; therefore, it’s best to avoid combining these two cleaning products. Furthermore, you aren’t enhancing any disinfecting characteristics, as each form of cleaner is effective in eliminating bacteria, removing mold, and removing mildew on its own.

Does Pine Sol Kill Mold and Mildew?

Does Pine Sol Kill Mold and Mildew?

Because of its disinfecting characteristics, Pine-Sol will efficiently destroy mold. Pine-Sol is a disinfectant that may be used on both hard surfaces and clothing. 

Using other solvents in combination with Pine-Sol

The manufacturer’s guidelines urge users not to combine Pine-Sol with any other home cleansers, according to Prudent Reviews. Not only is it harmful, but combining the product reduces the germ-killing potency of the product, which already kills 99.9% of germs.

You might want to read this: 20 Clever Ways To Keep Food Fresh Longer

Pine-Sol already has two ingredients, propylene glycol, and benzoic acid, which help to remove stains and smells while also killing germs and mold. As a result, if you want to conduct a deep clean, you may use undiluted Pine-Sol to get the most out of it. Only do this if the formula won’t react violently with the item you’re cleaning, and the space you’re working in is adequately ventilated.

Cleaning with Pine-Sol and bleach

Keep in mind that these compounds produce fumes when they react with other solvents like vinegar and ammonia. Because the fumes from combining Pine-Sol with other cleaning products might be hazardous, the producers advise against doing so.

When cleaning with Pine-Sol, you’re not gauging appropriately.

When diluting bleach for cleaning reasons, you may have heard that no more than 1 tablespoon should be added to 1 gallon of water. According to Pine-Sol, pine-Sol is unusual since it requires at least 1/4 cup of solution per gallon of water.

The liquid can then be poured into a bucket or a spray bottle. This measurement applies to cleaning worktops, stovetops, laminate flooring, wood floors, and sinks, among other things.

The Pine-Sol to water ratio is critical. We might get careless while trying to clean up fast and add too much or too little cleaner to the water. If you pour Pine-Sol directly from the bottle into a water container, this is quite likely to happen.

To avoid this, keep a measuring cup beside the container that can hold up to 1/4 of the solution in order to retain the strength of the combination.

Using Pine-Sol to clean the wrong surfaces

Cleaning with Pine-Sol and bleach

Another common blunder with Pine-Sol cleaning is applying it on incorrect surfaces. According to Pine-Sol, undiluted Pine-Sol should not be used on metal surfaces like copper or aluminum. Stainless steel, on the other hand, is unaffected. Instead, use Pine-Sol diluted in water to test how it reacts with the metal on a tiny, inconspicuous area. However, using a different cleaner is the safest alternative.

You should also avoid using the solution to clean marble flooring or worktops, as well as any surfaces that have been painted with acrylic, enamel, or oil paint. If you wipe them down with Pine-Sol (through Hunker), they’ll lose their coverage.

Another blunder many make with Pine-Sol is using it to clean automobiles or dishes. Pine-Sol is corrosive to these materials because it includes sodium secondary alkyl sulfate, propylene glycol, and benzoic acid (via SmartLabel).

Pine-Sol may be used to clean vinyl or linoleum floors.

Linoleum and vinyl floors should be on your list of surfaces to avoid when cleaning with Pine-Sol. Because of the acidity of the Pine-Sol solution, SheKnows warns that each wash may ruin the finish of your vinyl or linoleum floor.

This can result in a variety of problems, including fading and cracking. Pine-powerful Sol’s cleaning ingredients will certainly eliminate bacteria and smells, but they will also damage the flooring’s protective covering with continuous usage.

If you have this flooring, you should disinfect the area using a steam cleaning. If you insist on disinfecting with Pine-Sol, make sure you use the proper ratio to avoid damaging your floors. For 1 gallon of water, use no more than 1/4 cup. If you’re unsure, check the label on the Pine-Sol container to discover which surfaces are suggested to avoid.

Is pine sol safe for dogs or cats?

Is pine sol safe for dogs or cats?

Pine oil, benzoic acid, isopropyl alcohol, and sulfonic acids are among the constituents in Pine-Sol, which have been related to respiratory difficulties, cancer, reproductive consequences, skin irritation, and visual impairment in humans if consumed.

If something is dangerous to people, it is likely to be dangerous to pets as well. Pine-Sol is poisonous to pets and can even kill them if consumed in large amounts. It may cause irritation to your pet’s skin if it comes into touch with it. Seizures in dogs have also been related to the home cleaner.

Toxic effects of Pine-Sol

Assume your dog merely licked a little amount of Pine-Sol, or your cat went through a small puddle. They could be alright, but it’s advisable to check with your veterinarian as soon as possible. This is especially true for smaller pets like cats and small dogs.

If you know your pet drank a lot of Pine-Sol floor cleaning, or it went all over his body, you’re dealing with a far greater problem. Animals who consume a considerable amount of it can suffer from lung, kidney, and liver damage.

If your dog or cat vomits, has diarrhea, isn’t eating, or is drooling, you know they’re unwell. Pale gums, a racing heart, coughing or vomiting blood, weakness, collapse, and lethargy are all signs of internal bleeding.

Excessive thirst or urination, black-tarry stool, and odd behavior are all signs of renal and liver disease. Even if your dog or cat isn’t showing signs of illness, you should take them to the doctor if you suspect Pine-Sol is to blame.

Does Pine Sol Kill Mold And Mildew?

Can Pinesol be used on granite?

Granite countertops should not be treated with Pine-Sol. Pine-Sol has a pH of 4, indicating that it is acidic.

Pine-Sol is a disinfectant that may be used to clean and disinfect surfaces around the house, but not on your counters.

Because acid will etch the surface of your granite countertops, it should not be used to clean or disinfect them. Instead, use the cleaning procedures shown below to keep your counters looking great.

Carpet Mold Removal Supplies for Do-It-Yourselfers


Pine-Sol Disinfectant (two tablespoons)

  • One cup of warm water, 
  • an empty spray bottle, 
  • a small funnel, 
  • and a soft-bristled brush
  1. In a mixing basin, combine two tablespoons of pine-sol and one cup of warm water.
  2. Before using, pour the liquid into an empty spray container and give it a good shake.
  3. Now, spray a suitable amount of the cleaner onto the mold-affected carpet. Allow for 15-20 minutes of resting time.
  4. After that, re-spray the solution and scrub the carpet carefully with a brush.
  5. Wipe the area with a moist towel once the mold has been removed.


When using the pine-sol treatment, always use a face mask, hand gloves, and goggles.

To avoid catastrophes, keep the environment well-ventilated throughout the testing of the hack mentioned above.

After using the following method, thoroughly dry the area to prevent mold from returning.

If you employ the aforementioned pine-sol cures, you will be able to eliminate mold from your home entirely. If you don’t have pine-sol on hand, Oxiclean can be used to remove the mold.

Leave a Reply